Any cat owner who has had an empty box lying around will notice that their feline will almost immediately gravitate toward it. Why? Well, there are several reasons for this strange and cute behavior. Here are 5 reasons why cats love boxes:
1. Cats are curious creatures and boxes offer a new place to investigate. They love the interesting smells and especially hearing rustling paper.
2. Believe it or not, boxes provide warmth, and we all know that cats LOVE warm places. Cats, by curling up in a box, can preserve their body heat.
3. Boxes provide safety. The security of an enclosed box reduces stress. According to a recent study conducted by ethologist Claudia Vinke of Utrecht University in the Netherlands, on a group of shelter cats found that the group given boxes adapted to their environment much quicker and were less stressed than those cats not given a box.
4. The cardboard offers cats a chance to sharpen their nails and stretch their muscles. It’s a great texture for biting as well.
5. They are great places to sleep. Cats can spend up to 18 hours a day sleeping.
So why not let your cat explore the next box you bring home? You can make it even more interesting for kitty by leaving wrapping paper in it. Be sure to take lots of photos!